Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Romans

Romans 12:6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
I am finding Romans such a beautifully written book that I'm finding it a bit hard to write much about it.
In Romans 12 it encourages you to use your gift. It seems unquestioning that everyone has a gift and should know what it is. You do tend to figure these things out as you grow. I like to organize and have a great job that lets me do that. I don't know if that counts in Paul's list.
The only gift that seems to come with a qualifier is prophesy that can only be used in proportion to the faith of the person with the gift. I assume this refers to their faith in God, though maybe faith in themselves. I find it hard to distinguish what is God and what is me, maybe that is what takes the faith.
It is interesting that it is qualified like that. Grace gives us the gift but it is dependent on us. I think all the gifts really are though. Grace may give the gift of encouraging or serving but as you grow in the gift I would think grace would give you more as you mature to perform your gift even better.

No comments: