Friday, May 7, 2010

Matthew

The last few months have been a bit of a whirlwind. I have enjoyed the consistency of reading a chapter of the Bible every night before I sleep. On April 11, I started new- the New Testament that is.
In Matthew 23:35 Jesus refers to "Zechariah son of Berekiah". I hadn't noticed that before and wondered which Zechariah we were talking about (there are a few in the Bible!). I found this link.

Yesterday I read Matthew 25 where Jesus tells a couple of parables- the parable of the 10 virgins- the parable of the talents. I wasn't looking so much at what the people in the parables did but at their motivation and their hearts. The 'foolish' vigins did not bring enough oil for their journey. This can show lack of foresight and lack of understanding but it also shows how selfish it is to be only focused on the here and now. There are times when we need to be, but we can't loose sight of the big picture, of the important things to focus on.
In the parable of the talents, the servant that gets chastised is the one who made his decision based on fear.
God looks at our hearts

No comments: