Saturday, February 7, 2009

Job

When I first became a Christian, my friends encouraged me to read the Bible. But they qualified it. They said read the Bible, but skip Job. They implied that Job was really complicated. It probably is good advice to a new Christian to start in the New Testament.
I have read Job a number of times since being a Christian but have never got a lot out of it. I think this is the first time I have read it and really tried to understand the characters. Do I know people like this? From hearing other people discussing Job, I went into it thinking that Job is right and the 'friends' are wrong. But in reading it, I am not sure who is right and who is wrong and if it really matters. I think they both have interesting points on suffering. I am only about halfway through- we'll see how things go in the next half!

No comments: