Saturday, December 27, 2008

Dude, step down

Josiah seems to be a good King. He seems to want to please God and obey him. He did a lot of good things in Israel. But what he doesn't seem to know is he has to pick his battles.
20 After all this, when Josiah had set the temple in order, Neco king of Egypt went up to fight at Carchemish on the Euphrates, and Josiah marched out to meet him in battle. 21 But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, "What quarrel is there between you and me, O king of Judah? It is not you I am attacking at this time, but the house with which I am at war. God has told me to hurry; so stop opposing God, who is with me, or he will destroy you."

22 Josiah, however, would not turn away from him, but disguised himself to engage him in battle. He would not listen to what Neco had said at God's command but went to fight him on the plain of Megiddo.

23 Archers shot King Josiah, and he told his officers, "Take me away; I am badly wounded."

This unfortunately, leads to the death of Josiah and a very bad downward spiral for Judah, who all seem to shortly thereafter be taken captive by opposing communities.

No comments: