Thursday, February 21, 2008

Deception

I found this interesting (from Genesis 12):

10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. 11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman. 15 And when Pharaoh's officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels.

17 But the LORD inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai. 18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. "What have you done to me?" he said. "Why didn't you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!" 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.


Abram is deceptive and says his wife is his sister. I wonder what Sarai thought of that! But he was right - they did treat him well- for a while. But then the Lord afflicted the house of Pharoah. And somehow Pharoah figures out why and then gives Abram the boot for this deception. After this, God still goes on to make a covenant with Abram and perform a miracle of giving him a child when he is very old. Even though Abram lied. Even though Abram probably made God look pretty bad to Pharoah.

Thank God for grace!

1 comment:

jordin said...

I read somewhere once that what Abram said what half true. That Sarai is his half sister. I have never looked into it deeply... mainly because i keep forgetting. But i often wonder if it is true.