Saturday, August 8, 2015

Before Goliath

I  was reading the story of David this morning and I realized something that I had not seen before. For some reason when I thought of the story of David and Goliath I thought he was a nobody who was wandering around carrying the lunches for his brothers and then just happened on the battle line because his brothers were there. And that Saul had no idea who this guy was but he was happy someone had stepped up. Happy that anyone had stepped up.

But the background actually has David far more prepared than I think the telling of the story normally goes. Before he faced Goliath, he was already anointed king by Samuel. He had already been chosen by Saul to play the harp for him. So David already had a good idea of where his destiny should be going. And he had also spent time worshiping God in the palace of Saul. Saul knew very well who he was. David was more prepared than the story generally lets on.

No comments: