Friday, July 31, 2009

Song

I have to say, of all the books of the bible, I have the most trouble with the Song of Solomon. I get that it is supposed to be a picture of God's love for us, but at times it is a bit odd. I found it very hard work to read this book! This part I liked:
2:11 See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.

12 Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land.


This part I had a bit of trouble with:
5: 2 I slept but my heart was awake.
Listen! My lover is knocking:
"Open to me, my sister, my darling,
my dove, my flawless one.
My head is drenched with dew,
my hair with the dampness of the night."

3 I have taken off my robe—
must I put it on again?
I have washed my feet—
must I soil them again?

4 My lover thrust his hand through the latch-opening;
my heart began to pound for him.

5 I arose to open for my lover,
and my hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with flowing myrrh,
on the handles of the lock.

6 I opened for my lover,
but my lover had left; he was gone.
My heart sank at his departure. [a]
I looked for him but did not find him.
I called him but he did not answer.

7 The watchmen found me
as they made their rounds in the city.
They beat me, they bruised me;
they took away my cloak,
those watchmen of the walls!

It puzzled me that the Jesus/God character would knock and then leave, as there is a scripture in the NT about knocking and it being opened, etc.
In http://www.ldolphin.org/ssong.shtml they suggest that the passage talks about Jesus at Gethsemane- how he wants the disciples there, but they waver and then He is gone. Then they have to defend their faith.
When God is hard to find, I generally find that the problem is me, not Him. That He wants to be found. But that watchmen beat you up all the time, yeah, I understand that!

3 comments:

jordin said...

I waiver on this too... but i would like to see it as analogy for us... in that we hope for God to come and be with us, and sometimes we are so desperately looking for Him that we actually miss Him. He was right there, and yet we missed the chance.

I guess that is simplistic... but i know i have experienced that situation in my life.

Ms Hen's said...

Lover? Sister? I'm totally confused..

God is a Lover to us??

I really don't get it.

I do adore the writing style.. very much...

But I don't understand at all.

Aphra said...

Yes, this book seems to be one of the more confusing, but it is good that God gives up some mysteries, otherwise life would be boring :)