Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Psalm 101

Well, upon reading psalm 101 I had some difficulty with it. It came off a bit proud to me. What with the seemingly required perfection and the destruction of evildoers. As I found this psalm puzzling I looked up a spurgeon internet reference and what I got from that was to think about it as David singing not how he is, but how he would LIKE to be. Which made it a bit easier to understand. There can always be a utopia in how we would like to be compared to how we are.
I read that it was a psalm of longing and expectation, which is not how I interpreted it at all on the first read.
When I read it, I think I was reading it in the light of Jesus, which may have been missing the point altogether.
7 No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence.

But Jesus hung out with the sinners
8 Every morning I will put to silence all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer from the city of the LORD.

Oh dear, I couldn't see Jesus in this at all.
So, obviously, interpreting this psalm in the light of Jesus was the wrong way to read it.

No comments: