Thursday, May 15, 2008

Repetition

In Numbers 7, the writer list the gifts that the leaders of the tribes brought for the dedication of the Tabernacle.
I read the gifts that the first leader brought on the first day.
Then I read the gifts that the second leader brought on the second day.
And it was exactly the same as what the first leader brought!
And I was like- hey- couldn't he think of his own gift? But then I read all 12 and each of the 12 brought EXACTLY the same gift! Lack of originality, but high consistency!
Then I thought - why write out what the gifts were when they were exactly the same for each guy? Why not just write a list of the dudes and then the gift once? Because every gift we bring to God is precious. Maybe it's the same as what someone else is bringing, but it's still special to Him.

1 comment:

jordin said...

I, too, find the thoroughness of the authors in the Bible baffling. I often wonder what they are trying to say... what does it mean. Curious some times.